Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Well that's a little corny!

Corny? Just a little! Corn, corn and more corn. That, dairy farms and trees. Lots of trees! That was our trip across Wisconsin today.

We left Lebanon Hills Park Campground by 9:30 this morning. Not a bad start, considering Google said we had about a 7 hour drive today. We stopped just across the Wisconsin border for gas and coffee, and continued on our way. Wisconsin is beautiful country. Green, rolling hills, lots of trees... But it seems like just about all they grow is corn! I'm sure some of it is feed for all those dairy cattle they have, but I bet a good bit of it is also because of the ethanol subsidies. Whatever the reason, there sure is a lot of it!

I also saw the Mississippi River for the first time in my life. At least that's what the big sign said just as we got to the bridge that crossed it. I was a little underwhelmed, but remembering how far north we are, I didn't think too much of it, and took some pictures anyways (today's photos are posted on Flickr). A little while later we came across a HUGE river that looked to me like the Mississippi should look. So I quickly dug out my trusty Good Sam RV Road Atlas, and from there I deduced that the BIG river was actually the St. Croix River which meets up with the Mississippi not too far south of where we crossed it on I-94.

Other than a lot of green, and a lot of road, today's trip was very unremarkable. Until I saw Lake Michigan. Other than Lake Ontario (from a distance), this is the closest I've been to one of the Great Lakes. I'm impressed. Anytime I can't see land on the other side, I'm impressed. I'm a prairie girl...what do you expect?

Anyways, we're spending the night in Park Place of the North campground, about 15 miles south of Escanaba, MI. It's a nice little spot right on M-35, with a walking path that goes out to the lake. Unfortunately, the boardwalk that goes right to the lake is broken, and the ground rather wet, so we didn't get that far. But it was neat to see. We got here early enough that we were able to barbecue steak and potatoes, and enjoy a nice dinner outside. This is what holidays in an RV are all about!



Tomorrow, it's to Sault Ste. Marie and back into Canada...and unless someone is generous enough to share their wifi (as happened tonight), we'll catch you all when we get to Lindsay on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment