Sunday, January 8, 2012

Another January, another round of Weightwatchers

Here I am again. Getting older does nothing for the ability to keep the pounds at bay. Especially for someone who loves food, especially food that goes straight to my butt. Or now, my belly. Okay, so we're back where we were two years ago, with about 25 pounds to lose.

Two years ago, I kept up my motivation by taking part in a "Biggest Loser" competition at school. I won the first round, and more or less kept the weight off for almost a year. But then I changed schools, and slowly, ever so slowly, started eating things that weren't being worn off by my visits to the gym, or by my new-found interest in Zumba. I hate to think what my weight would be like if I hadn't been doing weights once a week and teaching Zumba twice a week, along with taking part in a spin and TRX class.

So...motivation works for me. Well, competition is motivation for me. Realizing that, I've joined the Biggest Loser competition at the local gym. I spent money to enter this thing, but it's not the money that's the motivator. I want to win, dammit!!!! The contest runs until the end of April, with the top 5 losers continuing on until early June. We get three different training programs from three different trainers, weigh-ins every two weeks, and a few other perks (like a coupon for smoothies at the local juice bar, and before and after photos!).

I met with the first trainer, Craig, yesterday. My bodyfat percentage was 41% -- ugh. My water was also low. I know -- I struggle with getting enough fluids into me, especially at school. I'm going to have to focus on that. My schedule is so crazy during the week, though, he's going to give my program to my usual trainer, Brett, so she can go over it with me during our regular session on Wednesday. She is one of the three trainers in the contest, but I don't work with her until the third section. My goal is to get to the gym on Mondays, Wednesdays, and once on the weekends. I'll also be teaching Zumba at school on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I might throw in a spin or TRX class later too, depending on the schedule.

As for the food, well, like the title of this post says, it's back to Weightwatchers. I use the online program because I really hate going to meetings. It's a time thing more than anything. I can track all my food and activity online, as well as my weight. I know the program, and it works for me, as long as I stick to it.

Tomorrow is start day. Besides the weigh-in I did at the gym yesterday, I will weigh myself first thing in the morning to record my start for the WW record. Today is grocery shopping day. I will try to get to the gym tomorrow after work, but that will depend on how this wretched head/chest cold is doing. However, there is Zumba to be taught on Tuesday, and I will be there!

Here we go!

5 comments:

  1. Time is the biggie for me as well, and the water! I make my student aides go fill up my water bottle for me. I have them trained now, so I never have an excuse to not have water.

    Are you going to the gym before school or after?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee - you can do it! I know you can. When we have life changes like changing schools, it is easy to revert back to old habits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck! I know you can do it just like you quit smoking!! :-)

    Hedwig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Lee! I'm on the same journey, just without WW. So far so good - 10 pounds! But basketball season is picking up so hopefully I'll still have time for the gym. I will look to you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete